Looking to switch up your hairstyle and embrace the beauty of natural hair? Short sister locs might just be the trendy and versatile option you’ve been searching for. Created using a precise locking technique called Sisterlocks, these locs offer a low maintenance alternative for those who prefer shorter hair.
This type of sister locs provide an opportunity to make a bold statement while maintaining ease of upkeep. Whether you’re aiming for a chic and sophisticated look or want to unleash your inner free spirit, this hairstyle has got you covered.
So, if you’re ready to rock a stylish yet manageable hairstyle that exudes confidence, look no further than short sister locs. Get ready to turn heads with this captivating hairdo that perfectly complements any occasion or outfit.
What are Short Sister Locs?
Short Sister Locs are a popular hairstyle that involves creating small, tightly coiled locks in the hair. The term “Sister Locs” refers to a specific method of creating these locks, which was developed by Dr. JoAnne Cornwell. This style is often chosen by individuals with natural hair who want a low maintenance yet stylish look.
These Locs are typically created by sectioning the hair into small parts and then twisting each section tightly from the roots to the ends. This process creates compact and uniform locs that are shorter in length compared to traditional dreadlocks. The result is a neat and structured hairstyle that can be worn in various ways, such as updos, ponytails, or left loose.
Installation of Short Sister Locs
Installing short sister locs requires the expertise of a certified Sisterlock consultant. These professionals have the necessary skills to ensure a proper installation that will result in beautiful and long lasting locs. If you’re looking to install sister locs yourself, follow this step by step guide to help you achieve the desired look.
- Prepare Your Hair: Before you begin the installation process, make sure your hair is clean and free of any product buildup. Wash and condition your hair using a gentle shampoo and conditioner. It’s important to start with a clean canvas to ensure that your locs can form properly.
- Section Your Hair: Divide your hair into small, even sections using a rat tail comb. The size of each section will depend on your desired loc size. If you want smaller locs, make smaller sections, and if you prefer larger locs, make larger sections. Use hair clips or hair ties to secure the sections and keep them separate.
- Start the Locs: Take a small section of hair from one of the larger sections you created. Apply a small amount of loc gel or wax to the section to help the hair hold its shape. Then, using a small metal or plastic comb, begin backcombing the hair from the ends towards the roots. This will create a tangled, knotted effect that will form the base of the loc.
- Palm Roll the Locs: Once you have backcombed the section, use your palms to roll the hair between your hands. This will smooth out the knots and encourage the hair to form a cylindrical shape. Continue palm rolling the section until it feels tight and secure.
- Repeat the Process: Continue the backcombing and palm rolling process on each section of hair until all of your short sister locs are installed. Take your time with each section to ensure that the locs are forming properly and are the desired size and shape.
Here is a video explaining method for different styles of short sister locs:
Trendy Color Choices for Short Sister Locs
- Opt for bold colors like vibrant red, purple, or blue to make a statement.
- Consider subtle highlights in shades of caramel, honey, or copper for dimension.
- Experiment with ombre effects by gradually transitioning from dark roots to lighter ends.
- Mix different shades within your locs to create an eye catching color combination.
The color choices you make can truly elevate your style. Whether you want to go bold and make a statement or add some dimension with subtle highlights, there are plenty of trendy options to choose from. Here are some exciting color choices that will take your short sister locs to the next level:
- Vibrant Red: If you’re feeling adventurous, why not opt for a vibrant red? This bold and fiery shade is sure to turn heads wherever you go.
- Purple: Another striking choice is purple. From deep plum tones to bright lavender hues, there’s a wide range of purple shades that can complement your locs beautifully.
- Blue: For those who want a unique and edgy look, blue is the way to go. Experiment with different shades of blue, such as navy or electric blue, and watch your short sister locs transform into a true fashion statement.
- Caramel Highlights: If you prefer a more subtle approach, consider adding caramel highlights to your locs. These warm tones will provide depth and dimension without overpowering the overall look.
- Golden Tones: Golden colored highlights can also be an excellent choice for short sisterlocks. These soft golden hues add warmth and radiance to your hair while maintaining a natural appearance.
- Copper Accents: To give your locs a touch of sophistication, try incorporating copper accents into your hair color palette. The rich reddish brown tones will create a stunning contrast against your black hair.
- Ombre Effects: Embrace the ombre trend by gradually transitioning from dark roots to lighter ends. This technique adds visual interest to your locs and allows you to experiment with different color combinations.
- Mix and Match: Don’t be afraid to mix different shades within your short sister locs for a truly unique look. Combining colors like blue, purple, and caramel can create an eye catching color combination that sets you apart from the crowd.
- Rose Gold: For a trendy and glamorous look, consider opting for rose gold. This beautiful and feminine color adds a touch of elegance to your locs style. The soft pink and golden tones blend together seamlessly, creating a stunning and eye catching effect.
- Silver: For a sleek and modern look, consider adding silver tones to your short sister locs. This cool and metallic shade can add a touch of sophistication and edginess to your hair.
- Blush Pink: If you’re looking for a soft and romantic color choice, blush pink is a perfect option. This delicate and feminine hue can add a subtle pop of color to your locs, giving you a fresh and youthful appearance.
- Emerald Green: For a bold and vibrant look, try incorporating emerald green into your locs. This rich and luxurious shade will make a statement and add a unique twist to your hairstyle.
- Ash Blonde: If you prefer a more natural and understated color, ash blonde is a great choice. This cool and muted shade can complement your short sister locs beautifully, giving you a chic and effortless look.
- Turquoise: For a fun and playful color choice, turquoise is a great option. This vibrant and tropical shade can add a touch of excitement and energy to your hairstyle, making you stand out from the crowd.
- Lilac: For a soft and dreamy look, consider adding lilac tones to your short sister locks. This pale purple shade exudes femininity and adds a touch of whimsy to your hairstyle.
- Silver Blue: If you’re looking for a cool and icy color choice, silver blue is a fantastic option. This unique blend of silver and blue creates a stunning and ethereal effect that will surely make heads turn.
- Burgundy: Add a touch of sophistication to your short sister locs style with a rich burgundy color. This deep and luxurious shade adds depth and warmth to your hair, creating a bold and elegant look.
- Honey Blonde: For a sun kissed and radiant appearance, opt for honey blonde locs highlights in your locs. These warm and golden tones will brighten up your hair and give you a vibrant and youthful glow.
- Magenta: Make a statement with vibrant magenta tones in your loc styles. This bold and intense shade of pink adds a pop of color and personality to your hairstyle, showcasing your confidence and individuality.
- Platinum Blonde: For a striking and bold look, consider going platinum blonde with your short sister locs. This ultra light shade adds a touch of glamour and sophistication to your hairstyle, making a statement wherever you go.
- Copper Red: If you want to add warmth and vibrancy to your locs, try copper red. This fiery shade of red with hints of orange and brown creates a stunning and eye catching effect, perfect for those who want to stand out.
- Pastel Blue: Embrace a soft and dreamy look with pastel blue in your short sister locs. This delicate shade of blue adds a touch of whimsy and femininity to your hairstyle, creating a unique and ethereal appearance.
- Silver Pink: For a modern and trendy color choice, try silver pink in your locs style. This cool toned blend of silver and pink creates a stunning and edgy effect, perfect for those who want to make a fashion statement.
- Chestnut Brown: If you prefer a more natural and earthy color, opt for chestnut brown in your short sisterlocks. This warm and rich shade of brown adds depth and dimension to your hair, creating a classic and timeless look.
- Neon Green: For a bold and unconventional choice, consider neon green color for your locs. This vibrant and eye catching shade of green adds a pop of color and personality to your hairstyle, showcasing your unique style and individuality.
Cute and Quick Hairstyles for Short Sister Locs
Looking for some cute and quick hairstyles for your short sister locs? Here are a few ideas to help you switch up your look and embrace the versatility of your natural hairstyle:
- Half Up, Half Down Style: Add some flair to your short sisterlocks by trying a half up, half down style. Use decorative hairpins or accessories to elevate the look. It’s a simple yet stylish way to showcase your locks.
- Bantu Knots or Twist Outs: If you’re looking for added texture and volume, experiment with bantu knots or twist-outs. These techniques can give your short sisterlocks a beautiful coily hair texture that will turn heads.
- Sleek Updo: Need an elegant option for a special occasion? Gather your short sister locs into a high bun or ponytail for a sleek updo. This hairstyle is not only chic but also keeps your hair off your face, allowing you to show off those gorgeous sisterlocks.
Maintenance Tips for Short Sister Locs
If you want to ensure that your short sister locs remain healthy, manageable, and stylish, follow the given tips:
Regularly Moisturize Your Locs
Regularly moisturize your locs to keep them healthy and hydrated. Dryness can lead to breakage and frizz, so it’s important to keep your short sister locs well nourished. Consider using lightweight oils or hair products specifically designed for locs to add moisture without weighing them down.
Use a Satin or Silk Scarf or Pillowcase
Use a satin or silk scarf or pillowcase to protect your locks while sleeping. These materials are gentler on the hair compared to cotton, which can cause friction and lead to frizz and breakage. Wrap your short sister locs with a scarf or use a silk pillowcase to maintain their shape and prevent tangles.
Avoid Excessive Manipulation or Tight Hairstyles
Avoid excessive manipulation or tight hairstyles that can cause breakage. While experimenting with different styles is fun, it’s crucial not to put too much strain on your short sister locs. Opt for looser hairstyles like updos, twists, or braids that won’t pull on the roots excessively.
Use Lightweight Oils or Gels
Consider using lightweight oils or gels to add shine and control frizz. Short sister locs can sometimes appear dull or develop flyaways. Applying a small amount of oil or gel can help enhance their natural luster while keeping frizz at bay. Look for products specifically formulated for locs that won’t leave behind residue.
Cost of Short Sister Locs
When it comes to getting short sister locs installed, the cost can vary significantly. On the lower end, you may find prices as low as $92, while on the higher end, prices can reach up to $3800. However, for a full head installation, the average cost typically falls between $500 to $800 or even more. Regular retightening appointments come at an average cost of $112.
However, several factors come into play while estimating the cost. The length and density of your hair can affect the overall price. Typically, shorter hair requires less time and effort for installation compared to longer hair, which may influence the cost.
While there is an initial investment involved in getting short sister locs, many people find it worth it for the long term convenience and style they offer. Once installed, these locs require minimal maintenance and provide versatility in styling options.
Now that you have all the information you need, it’s time to rock your new hairstyle with confidence. Short sister locs are a versatile and trendy choice that allows you to express your unique style while embracing your natural beauty. With the right installation, maintenance, styling tips, and even trendy color choices, you can create stunning looks that will turn heads wherever you go.